Most of the time, the students are given an assignment by the word count and not by the number of pages. For instance, ‘Write a 1000 words paper.’ If you are asked to write 1000 words, one of the first questions that cross your mind is how many pages are covered by 1000 words assignment.
As a matter of fact, there is no clear answer to this question. The number of pages it will take to fill a certain number of words will depend on various factors including the font size, the font type, spacing, the margins on the paper, the length of the paragraph, etc. For instance, if the assignment requires you to write in 10-point font, it will take more words to cover a page than if you write in 12-point font.
As a general rule, a standard page with 1-inch margins and typed in 12 point font with single spacing will be roughly 500 words. If you have to write an assignment with double spacing, it will take roughly 250 words to cover one page. For a 1000 words assignment with double spacing, you need to write roughly four pages. In addition, the font type can make a difference to the number of pages used.
If you have been assigned to write a paper based on the number of pages, you should directly go the teacher who prepared the paper and verify the word count. This will remove all the variations and ensure that your paper meets the writing criteria.
Another factor that determines the number of pages covered by 1000 words is the medium of those 1000 words. Whether it is a word document, or a webpage, or for a college application? These aspects can also impact the number of pages used. Usually, people use Google Docs or Microsoft Word for all kinds of commercial or academic projects. You can easily check the word count in Microsoft Word to know the number of words per page. If you are writing a 1000 words assignment, the number of pages used in Word varies on the font size, font type, margins, spacing, and the structure of the paragraph. Here are some basic calculations for 1000 words for different types of fonts used:
- Two pages will be covered if the Arial font is used with 12pt font size and single spacing.
- Two pages will be covered if the Calibri font is used with 10pt font size and double spacing.
- Four pages will be covered if the Times New Roman font is used with 12pt font size and double spacing.
Most universities consider a page to have 300 words, 275 words or 250 words. The number of pages covered by your 1000 words paper will vary depending on the classification that your university follows:
- If your university considers a page to have 250 words, 4 pages will be required to write 1000 words.
- If your university considers a page to have 275 words, 3.6 pages will be required to write 1000 words.
- If your university considers a page to have 300 words, 3.3 pages will be required to write 1000 words.
- If you are writing a paper in Arial font, with single-spacing, font size 12, 2.2 pages will be required to write 1000 words.
Since there are a lot of variations on the number of pages covered by 1000 words, most assignments are not assigned by page count anymore. Instead, they are assigned by word count. An assignment paper is more to be assigned as 1000 words rather than 3-4 pages. This practice makes it difficult for a student to cheat the system by using extra spacing and large fonts to meet the assignment writing criteria.