Coursework Information Sheet
To be supplied to students when they receive the coursework assignment task.
|Unit Name: Leadership Project 2|
|Unit Code: SHR011-6 (On campus; Off campus (Oman, Zurich & Poland)|
You will produce a written report of 3600 words (+/- 10%) that critically assesses and evaluates your organization and sector using organizational systems and structures theory (vMEME) and all the types of approaches and models of organizational strategy it contains.
Critically analyse particular leadership problems and challenges through critical evaluation and appropriate application of theory
- Critically evaluate how certain types of leadership/management styles differ depending on history, culture, geographic life and conditions
- Critically evaluate how certain types of leadership/management styles impact people performance, productivity
- Critically evaluate how certain types of leadership/management styles determine who will ‘follow and how’.
- Critically evaluate your personal leadership capabilities and critically analyse the need for future development
Through application of Seven Leadership Mindsets Theory (vMEME) you will have a tool (and the skill) to critically assess and evaluate all types of organizational and sector theories worldviews that include USA, UK, China, European countries, India, Oman, GCC, African countries, etc. Leadership is different depending on the relevant mindset (life conditions, how humans individuals adapt to successfully compete and socio-cultural elements). Inevitably leadership mindset impacts everything in a company – strategy, people, performance, productivity, etc.
A suggested structure for the written report would include the following: An introduction, central core, conclusion and set of recommendations. This assignment core can be divided into four equally weighted sections. These have been presented as four questions.
Introduction– A short introduction which sets out the purpose of the assignment, include a brief overview of what will be covered, highlight a potted history of the organisation / department and address the current issues and sector drivers / that may be explored.
Theory / Literature review-In this project, it is expected that the theory and best practice is integrated in addressing each section and sub-section. This expectation is that key theories will be explored, evaluated and the most appropriate applied to the context of the organisation and your leadership. This too is evaluated in terms of impact and where you make suggestions for possible improvements.
Instruction: Please answer all of the following questions:
- Having considered the theory, research and science, characteristics of organisations identify and assess:
- The seven structures and systems present in your organisation
- Analyse and describe how the present Leadership Value Systems and Structures in your organisation impact on leadership, management and staff.
- Consider and analyse differences to your competitors (local or global)
- Consider to what extent are these differences positive points of differentiation or negative traits of the organisation
- Now that you understand your organisations structure consider your organisations sector. Critically analyse:
- How has your sector evolved?
- In what way do they differ to your competitors (local or global)
- To what extent are these differences positive points of differentiation or negative traits of the organisation
- Having examined change and transformation critically assess and analyse how to ensure your organisation’s continued growth and success, organisations need to undertake transformation and growth.
- What kinds of changes are taking place in your sector and what do you believe the most successful organizations are doing to embrace the changes required to deliver continued success?
- To what extent is your organization at the forefront of this transformation (or maybe it is trailing some of the best organisations in the sector). Give examples of specific actions and leadership behaviours you are seeing to underpin your view.
- Every organisation faces challenges and problems, which can be driven from rapid growth or serious decline. Identify and critically assess:
- The top two or three big issues your organization is facing
- Key actions your organization needs to take to put it on a path of future sustainable success.
Conclusions and recommendations:
Bring together the core findings of both theory and best applied practice from your organisation / experience and reflection for each of the four sections to produce a conclusion. Make recommendations on each section. Clearly, section four has a strong element of recommendations already included, so these should be incorporated into these conclusions. Ensure that there is consideration of any cost-benefits anlyse and implementation change strategy.